LGBT-Core Competencies in working with LGBT Individuals
Competencies necessary to provide counseling for LGBT individuals include but not limited to the following:
- understanding the impact of minority stress on one's day-to-day life;
- awareness of factors that exacerbate the symptoms of mental illness such as depression and anxiety as a result of minority status;
- how suicidal ideation and Axis I diagnoses interact in LGBT population;
- developing knowledge re: the meaning and intersection of sex, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity;
- awareness of the laws within one's state re: discrimination against LGBT individuals;
- knowledge of factors that impact sexual health...
Create a safe and welcoming environment
Understand appropriate terminology
Understand how health status is the consequence of many social determinants
Learn how to inquire of sexual health as part of counseling.
Understand the prevalence of substance use in LGBT population.
Do's and Don't's of helping with the challenges in coming out process.
Work appropriately with the concepts of sex, gender, sexual orientation, Gender Identity.
Address needs of special populations such as youth and seniors.
Case scenarios and small group learning model will be utilized based on the number of attendees.